Prep the Room: Before beginning, be sure to cover any furniture and flooring with plastic and wear a face mask, eye protection, and gloves.
Apply the Chemical Solution: To loosen the texture, mix a few drops of liquid dish soap with a gallon of warm water and apply it to the ceiling using a pump sprayer. Allow the solution to sit for a few minutes before continuing.
Scrape off the Texture: Using a putty knife, gently scrape off the texture in small areas. Be sure to use gentle pressure so you do not damage the existing drywall.
Clean Up: Once the texture has been scraped off, use a shop vac to remove the dust and debris.
Apply a Primer: Once the ceiling is clean, apply a coat of primer to the entire surface. Allow the primer to dry before continuing.
Paint: Finally, paint the ceiling with a flat or matte paint to complete the look.
• Drop cloths
- Painter’s tape
- Spray bottle
- Utility knife
- Putty knife
- Joint compound
1. Begin by laying out drop cloths and tarp on the floor and in the surrounding area to protect it from the mess.
2. Next, use painter’s tape to cover all of the walls in the room. This will prevent any splatter from getting onto them.
3. Put on a respirator to protect yourself from breathing in any of the dust from the popcorn ceiling.
4. Fill a spray bottle with water and spray the ceiling with it. This will help to soften the texture of the popcorn ceiling, making it easier to remove.
5. Use a scraper to scrape off the popcorn texture. Be sure to scrape in a downward motion so as not to damage the ceiling.
6. Vacuum up the debris and clean up the area.
7. Use a putty knife to scrape off any remaining popcorn texture.
8. Apply joint compound to any areas that need to be patched or repaired.
9. Allow the joint compound to dry and then sand down any excess.
10. Finally, use a utility knife to cut the edges of the ceiling so they are clean and even. Removing popcorn ceilings may seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and knowledge, it can be done quickly and easily. Once you understand the process, you will be able to remove any popcorn ceiling in no time!